Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  January 24, 2020 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

4:00 pm
and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. >> martha: so the clock is ticking for the democrats on the senate floor tonight. they have about two more hours left in the 24 hours they were given to present their case and why the president should be removed from office. it is possible this trial could be over at this time next week if it all climbs out the way it's looking like it will, but as witnesses come in the player could be a whole different story. a report surrounding one of those potential witnesses, "abc news" reviews recordings that appear to capture president trump at a private dinner telling that he wanted ukraine ambassador marie yovanovitch fired in april of 2018. that was a full year later that he was actually she was sent back to the
4:01 pm
united states. lev parnas was reportedly part of that conversation and said this earlier last month. >> he fired her at the dinner. i remember telling the president at that point, he turned around who was his aide at a time and sad, fire her. there was a silence in the room. >> martha: sounds very dramatic. president trump addressing these reports directly in an exclusive interview that will air tonight on the "the ingraham angle." here is a bit of it. >> where you relying on lev parnas to be your ambassador? >> he's somebody i guess based on pictures, he goes to fund raisers. but i'm not a fan of the ambassador. >> martha: will you telling parnas to get rid of her? >> i would probably tell rudy or somebody, i make no bones about
4:02 pm
it. i have every night writes. i have a right to hire and fire ambassadors. >> martha: democratic senator craig croons out of the hearing for a moment and says he would like lev parnas to testi testify. hogan gidley says the president has every right to replace the people in his administration and standing in front of a microphone. he was there as well and has been with the president this afternoon as well. first, sits on the senate judiciary committee. >> great to be with you, martha. >> martha: we have not heard this tape so that our characterizations given what you know so far, what do you think about it? >> is striking that lev parnas is him and we hadn't heard of not even a few weeks ago as a house developing the evidence of the house managers have been presenting to us here in the
4:03 pm
senate over the last few days, they didn't have access to lev parnas as a potential witness. we only heard of him because he was fleeing the country and arrested and indicted in doing so. he was a close associate of rudy giuliani and i will remind you one of the most troubling aspects of the house managers' case which has been laid out in great detail is that president trump inserted his personal attorney rudy giuliani in the conduct of a shadow foreign policy that included things like a smear campaign against ambassador marie yovanovitch along serving decorated independent foreign service officer who had been an anticorruption crusader as a bass there in several different countries under several different american presidents. >> martha: you heard what the president just said. he does have the right to remove anyone he wants from ambassadorships. is that correct, is that your understanding? >> he has that power claim , but not for a corrupt purpose.
4:04 pm
the house managers laid out in great detail, surprised how much testimonial evidence they had from senior administration officials, folks from the national security council, folks who are current and former ambassadors, about the whole scheme that was put together by rudy giuliani and carried out by president trump. >> martha: let me ask you -- >> if president trump hopes to be exonerated here, he needs to present countervailing evidence. he needs to present witnesses. >> martha: i understand what you are saying, i'm just trying to figure out what the evidence is of them exactly. we hear all so that the president brings up this ambassador yovanovitch on the call that was on the transcript call. bad news in something like that. it lines up with what supposedly on this recording and i should point out that we have not heard the recording, so it's hard to characterize it. but that she was not supportive of the president. >> that's right.
4:05 pm
>> martha: wasn't lining up with his policies and what he wanted to pursue with regards to your crane. there is nothing there that would be -- >> i'm happy to talk if you'd like me to. >> martha: what's the evidence, it is my question, of wrongdoing? >> can i talk now? thank you. the court case that's been presented by the house managers is that president trump put his own personal political interests ahead of our national interest and he directed the firing of ambassador yovanovitch and put a hold on that it neatly military aid to our strategic partner your crane who continues face russian aggression in the east because he was trying to extract from the newly elected president of your crane a commitment to open a sham investigation on joe biden and announce an investigation into the 2016 election. so the core issue here, what was president trump's motive in
4:06 pm
ordering the dismissal of maria nevada veg, they hold this sadly needed aid to ukraine which had strong bipartisan support? the key witnesses we are hoping to hear at the first two weeks of the trial are folks in senior levels of the administration at omb, the president acting chief of staff who carried out president trump's orders to place an unjustified hold on this badly needed aid. if republicans want to exonerate the president, those are exactly the sorts of relevant witnesses we should be hearing from. >> martha: i think as you pointed out, the polls show that the people are interested hearing from these witnesses so i guess my question, you make a number of assumptions i should point out that haven't necessarily been established in terms of whether -- what the president depositors motives were. i think of it was so clear, this would be in the open and shut case. but it isn't, it's so open.
4:07 pm
what do you recommend? do you think it should move back to the house? that has been an idea that's been floated, whether or not they should go back and continue, given these new pieces of information that are coming out. what do you recommend? >> that's one possibility. but the rules that were adopted by the republican majority when we began allows for depositions of potential witnesses for those could be going on right now. those will be going on in a closed session. the president could assert whatever privileges or immunities he wanted to to challenge certain aspects of that testimony. the chief justice would be making those rulings about relevancy. and then another week from now or so, that additional testimony or evidentiary evidence could be presented in front of the president. doesn't have to hold this up for weeks and weeks. we already have in place a process that can allow this to happen fairly quickly.
4:08 pm
>> martha: thank you. always good to talk to you. the white house will be here to respond in a moment and rudy giuliani threatening the evidence of his own, ramping up calls for increased energy behind a biden investigation. is that where all of this is heading, after this process of impeachment is over? charlie kirk and richard goodstein when the story continues. fs... on a ski lift... everywhere. for a limited time, go to audible.com to save $50 on your first year of membership.
4:09 pm
4:10 pm
4:11 pm
[sneezing] ♪ you don't want to cancel your plans. [sneezing] cancel your cold. the 1-pill power of advil multi-symptom cold & flu knocks out your worst symptoms. cancel your cold, not your plans. advil multi-symptom cold & flu.
4:12 pm
>> he deployed mr. giuliani to your crane to continue advancing a scam that serves no other purpose than advancing his 2020 reelection prospects. >> martha: lead impeachment manager adam schiff blasting
4:13 pm
president trump, rudy giuliani speaking out today and amplifying calls for the investigation into biden's business dealings in your crane as a result in your crane as a result. >> i was invest getting biden a few years ago. i never thought he would run. am i going to cover it up the way the democrats cover it up absently not. this and hopefully with biden finally being put under investigation. >> martha: coming up, the author of the upcoming book "the mag a he's with us as well. good to have you both here. charlie, what do you think about this whole rudy giuliani element of this ukraine investigation and is it helpful that he's continuing to pursue it -- it's really a 2016 investigation he's really focused on. >> sure, rudy gets under a lot of criticism. i think he deserves a lot of
4:14 pm
credit on focusing the conversation on biden corruption in ukraine. he's the personal attorney of the president of united states. it's his job to defend his client and find any facts towards democrat opposition towards the president of united states. it's important to take a step back. adam schiff going at the mayor today quite aggressively and said the president did trust his intel agencies pray the same intel agencies we've now learned after the pfizer investigation that spied on president trump's campaign and went under all sorts of different discrepancies in the process and methodologi methodologies, i believe >> martha: in a interview i did with lindsey graham and why he thinks in the long run, it's valid to dig into the biden question. watch. >> i think hunter biting was being paid $50,000 a month for a reason. they hired john kerry's stepson, burisma dead, they were hiring
4:15 pm
all these people close to the obama administration not because of their expertise but because of their influence. the question is do they use that influence to help this company when it came under investigation? i think there is a lot of questions about that and will get to the bottom of it. >> martha: richard, the suggestion is that anybody opens their mouth about the biden question why he was hired to do this work and why chris hines was also hired to do it, it gets immediately shut down the nobodies allowed to talk about it. nobody's allowed to say, well, that's a question. maybe it's not illegal but maybe it's unethical, a sign of what people worry about in terms of influence and making money above political positions. why is that not an area that we are able to look into? >> there are two questions. one, should it be a part of the impeachment trial? rudy giuliani says his epithets will be he lied for trump. maybe not the single best
4:16 pm
calling card for whatever he's pushing in the in's incidentally if you got something, why doesn't he put it out there now which will help him climb bett better. >> martha: he's doing in a podcast... >> let's look at it. if the senate wants to look at what hunter biting dead, they should look at nepotism broadly. look at the trademarks that ivanka god. look at the real estate that jared from sold to the qataris. >> martha: i see what you are saying. those are businesses they were in for a very long time. >> that's not something he did for a very long time! >> one second, richard, the kushner family in real estate for many generations. there is no experience whatsoever. put on the board because his father was vice president of the united states. >> hunter admits that he got hired because of his name. obama
4:17 pm
>> obama's nsc said there is -- the difference, the trump family divested when their father became president. richard, you know deep down there something questionable with this whole biden-burisma narrative. >> nothing to do with impeachment. if donald trump's really had concern about corruption, while what he only asked for announcement from zelinski but why would he not do this in 2017 or 2018 before joe biden announced? why would he ask the fbi and the justice department's -- b1 when i hear it, to me, once you announce it, then we'll have the meeting. not you only need to announce it. i have no idea which one it is. >> george, disagrees with you and he talks to the president with it. you didn't. >> martha: it can be seen in a couple of different ways. >> fair enough.
4:18 pm
>> some of those things have it to be substantiated. on the phone call, there was a lot of corruption in ukraine, one of the centers of corruption in europe in general but when you look at jim jordan's four irrefutable truths about those come president trump gave javelins when barack obama gave blankets. >> v-8 was released when the cops showed up. it's like being a bank robber and dropping the cash. that doesn't mean your hands are clean and it wasn't just blankets. >> martha: food also! >> president trump gave ukrainians armed and lethal weaponry. president trump did not. that's a fundamental fact here. >> that's true, didn't give them javelins. but the fact of the matter is the notion that somehow or other president trump hands are clean because he ultimately gave the money overlooks the fact that he gave it because the jig was up. >> martha: valid point and we will never know the answer of that question because that's the
4:19 pm
order of when things happen. it's a very valid point. a quick thought on the president going to the march of life when no other president has come a quick thought on that? >> i was there. historic. thousands of young people showed in washington, d.c. i really applaud his courage. first president in history to address the gathering. >> politically we know that college educated suburban women, most of them were republicans, voted for donald trump in 2016 and abandon the republican party in droves in 2018. is it something they feel strongly about inconsistent with the president's view or not? you tell me and a question whether this is good or not. >> martha: we'll see. great to have both of you here. so senator josh hawley says absolutely clear in his opinion that hunter biden should be one of them. going to explain next why.
4:20 pm
it's not just a cold if you have high blood pressure. most cold medicines may raise blood pressure. coricidin hbp is the... ...#1 brand that gives... powerful cold relief without raising your blood pressure. (burke) we've seen almost everything, so we know how to cover almost anything. even a "gold medal grizzly." (sports announcer) what an unlikely field in this final heat. hang on... you're about to see history in the making. (burke) not exactly a skinny dipper, but we covered it. at farmers, we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ (vo) visit farmers-dot-com and get a quote today.
4:21 pm
4:22 pm
car vending machines and buying a car 100% online.vented
4:23 pm
now we've created a brand new way for you to sell your car. whether it's a year old or a few years old, we want to buy your car. so go to carvana and enter your license plate, answer a few questions, and our techno-wizardry calculates your car's value and gives you a real offer in seconds. when you're ready, we'll come to you, pay you on the spot, and pick up your car. that's it. so ditch the old way of selling your car, and say hello to the new way-- at carvana. my bladder leak underwear.orried someone might see so, i switched. to always discreet boutique. its shape-hugging threads smooth out the back. so it fits better than depend. and no one notices. always discreet.
4:24 pm
>> martha: with the state of witnesses in this impeachment trial still unclear, a poll finds that two-thirds of americans think should be called and that includes 45% of republicans. "the wall street journal"'s peggy noonan says when essays are crucial both republicans and democrats, saying this: when you open up the door to impeachment, a third party in the room, history. it too has its needs and are less selfish than the political party. history wants information, data, testimony. it wants to know and understand the story. here now is senator josh hawley, a member of the judiciary committee. senator, thank you for being with us. i know you've had a lot of long
4:25 pm
days here and more long days to come. what do you think about what peggy noonan says here? >> the question has not been decided. the senate will make a decision on when this is next week. but my view is this, we've admitted into evidence all the record compiled by the house, including all the witness testimonies, all the documents, it's all before us. what the houses asking, the democrats asking the senate to do is go out beyond that record to go search for evidence they have not been able to find, proof that donald trump violated laws they can't prove but basically to turn ourselves into an investigative body and redo their case for them. i don't see any reason to do that. it would violate best practices and tradition. >> martha: here's adam schiff talking about why the president cannot be trusted. watch this. >> you can't trust this president and do what's right for this country. you can trust he will do what's right for donald trump.
4:26 pm
this is why if you find him guilty, you must find that he should be removed. >> that was yesterday but he said a lot on the same stage today. what do you say to that? >> we've heard a lot from adam schiff in vain in one of the things that struck me as he talked repeatedly about a coup, that president trump's presidency is somehow illegitimate. try them from russia more than any achieved than the cold war. really, you can't make this up. i thought today really has laid bare the hysteria that's motivating this impeachment inquiry. it's rabidly partisan and in some cases it's outright and sane, the idea that president trump is a triumph greater than any in the soviet union? what are we even talking about at this point? at this point, it's rapidly becoming just a campaign rally and it's time to move on to the
4:27 pm
president's argument. >> there are two sides to all these stories and we continue to hear from them and adam schiff has made his feelings known. with regard to joe biden, his name has come alive, i think the biden name come up over a hundred times. if we do see witnesses here, you feel strongly that they need to be included, even though the president of candidate has said that he doesn't want any part of that. >> i think the house managers made the case of that over the last two days. hunter biden and joe biden are central to this inquiry because the house manager's whole case is that president trump couldn't have been interested in anticorruption in ukraine because at burisma there was no corruption, with the bidens, there's no corruption. we absolutely have to hear from hunter biden and the vice president to get to this material fact. i think the house managers open the door, put in front and center and we may well need to call them. >> martha: we will hear more
4:28 pm
about that. senator hawley, good to see you. >> likewise. >> martha: 's delay, we talk exquisitely to a member of president trump's defense team on the eve of their turn on the senate floor. best director, and best picture of the year.
4:29 pm
4:30 pm
4:31 pm
things you can do with schwab: you can earn more when you invest your cash. you can get a satisfaction guarantee. you can also wonder why our competitors don't offer that. schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. don't offer that. little things can be a big deal. psoriasis, that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with... ...an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment.
4:32 pm
upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. >> martha: can you believe it? ten days out from the iowa caucuses and the real clear politics average shows joe biden in the lead at 21% in iowa. bernie sanders trailed by 3.7. the first time ever, multiple candidates might claim ville victory. one pollster saying there's going to be one talented down the candidate who gets more delicates and attracting more people to show up for them, so you might have more than one kind of victory. riddle me this, chris stirewalt, fox news politics editor to explain -- this is confusing,
4:33 pm
chris. >> iowa has had trouble forever. this is not a primary, this is a caucus. it's run by the state party and the rules are smoky, opaque. last time around, bernie sanders very angry because they were not real vote totals reflected in the estimated delicates that were going to be reached at the national convention and it also look like a shell game and they complained about the process. so after he extorted a bunch of changes out of the democrat national committee, he not a democrat, got all these changes out. what do we do in iowa to make it simpler, which we would like on election night because you'd like to be able to make a clean call. >> martha: i'd like to have three different winners. >> a clear call, quicker call, and something people can say, okay, he had more than the person. it's possible you could still -- if it's a very close race, you could have three different people claiming victory. one of the first count, one of
4:34 pm
the final count, one of the delicate estimate. >> martha: you also have an iowa caucus in scotland which will have on another time. i want to get your thoughts on this, let's play this very contentious exchange with elizabeth warren and a voter talking about student debt. watch this. >> my daughter out of school, saved all my money. still paid. am i going to get the money back? are you going to paper people who didn't save any money and those of us who did the right thing? of course we did! my buddy bought a car, i worked a double shift. that's exactly what you are doing. we do the right thing and we get screwed. >> martha: what do you think? >> elizabeth warren is one of many democrats who misjudged what the democratic electorate look like because they spend too much time on twitter and think
4:35 pm
that woke activism is where it's at. there are millions of democratic voters out there who do the right things, who worked two jobs, who pay their dues, who do all the right stuff to send their kids to school and elizabeth warren is proposing is for a lot of people with masters degrees and doctorates and highly educated folks to absolve them of debt that they racked up along the way. that's why joe biden is winning. that's why joe biden is ahead because he can talk to that voter. she can't figure it out. just on a stylistic note, her almost contemptuous attitude toward him, the mockery that she treats this person with tells you why she has never lived up to the hype that was created for her by the political press. she has been the great bust of the cycle. >> martha: if you don't want to have a beer with her, she's a bust. let's watch a response on this one. >> are you saying tough luck to these people, senator? >> no, what i'm saying there is a $50 per semester option for
4:36 pm
me. i was able to go to college and become a public school teacher because america had invested in a $50 a semester option for me. today, that's not available. >> martha: that's what not what the shaman is saying. he said, i paid off her student loans because i was careful and responsible and people who didn't do that are going to get relief by raising taxes on everything else, essentially. >> she had two bites at the apple. all she had to say was, i hear you, understand why you are frustrated, and here is my answer to that and that's what i want to do. instead, always she has a lot of the same problems that hillary clinton does is that she seems vexed for having to explain yourself, seems frustrated by the necessities of running for office, that's not going to feed the bulldog in iowa. not never. no matter how they count them. >> martha: we'll be in iowa in seven or eight days. great to see you tonight. coming up next, can 202020 democrats lose key battleground
4:37 pm
states for sake of saving the planet? interesting question. we will tell you why next.
4:38 pm
looking to get your business off to a fast start in the new year? it's go time! switch to comcast business and get fast internet on the nation's largest gig-speed network. plus, complete reliability with 4g lte backup. and, cloud-based security to help protect the devices on your network.
4:39 pm
greenlight your business in 2020 with fast internet and voice for $64.90 per month. switch now and get a $100 prepaid card when you add comcast business securityedge. call today. comcast business. beyond fast. looking to get your business off to a fast start in the new year? it's go time! switch to comcast business and get fast internet on the nation's largest gig-speed network. plus, complete reliability with 4g lte backup. and, cloud-based security to help protect the devices on your network.
4:40 pm
greenlight your business in 2020 with fast internet and voice for $64.90 per month. switch now and get a $100 prepaid card when you add comcast business securityedge. call today. comcast business. beyond fast. >> martha: the so-called shale revolution to account for $100 million from economic input of the u.s.
4:41 pm
but some 2020 democrats have declared war on fracking for bernie sanders and elizabeth warren say that they would seek an all-out ban on fracking if they are elected and here is joe biden on this issue. >> three consecutive americans have received economic growth in a boom of oil and gas production. as president, would you be willing to sacrifice some of that growth even though knowing potential it could displace thousands or hundreds and thousands of blue-collar workers in the interest of transitioning to the greener economy? >> the answer is yes! >> martha: interesting questions but my next guest argues that's a risky position to take and it could cost democrats in key battleground states like michigan and pennsylvania even more. ohio and michigan, rather, have more than 4,000 shell workers in pennsylvania alone. stephen moore joins me now,
4:42 pm
distinguished visiting fellow at the heritage foundation. good to see you tonight. very interesting piece on this. they come a number of candidates as we pointed out have really staked out a claim against this. how would that work for them electorally? >> the timing couldn't be worse for democrats because we are in the midst of the biggest oil and gas boom in the united states right now and not in traditional oil states, they want to turn that state purple. what you think about, as you mentioned, ohio. ohio's entire economy has been revived because of the marcellus shale. pittsburgh is one of the biggest oil producing -- not oil, natural gas. you are talking -- one thing as you said, hundreds and thousands of workers directly employed but think, martha, all the americans
4:43 pm
employed at service stations, the steel producers, car manufacturers, the people who are welders. we estimate somewhere between five, 10 million americans would lose their jobs if we illuminated oil and gas. >> martha: those are obviously important states. ohio, pennsylvania. >> new mexico is another one. new mexico is a battleground state and the mexico is also a state that's in the basin will reproduce a lot of oil. >> martha: there is a "rolling stone" headline here, america's gas wells produce millions of toxic waste every year. showing how it could be making workers sick and condemning communities across america and that's the reason that you see this stands being taken by these politicians. >> you know what's interesting? this oregon shale, it's a natural gas phenomenon. natural gas is a wonderful fuel. it's made in america, cheap,
4:44 pm
reliable, clean burning. trump is right when he says this, united states of all the countries that sign the paris clement accord, we pulled out of that, reduce the greenhouse gases more than any of them. the reason is we produce natural gas. if you are concerned about clam and change them you should be in favor of natural gas and nuclear power, which they are against too. i do think the big problem for the democrats on this issue, it pits the blues which is the blue-collar industrial union workers versus the radical green environmentalists who want to put the end to the industrialization of america. >> martha: that's who won. >i guess joe biden would be the candidate who's trying to win back those blue-collar workers as you point out, but the stance he's taken, it'll be interesting to see if he changes his tune on this. he amend his answer a little bit to address this issue.
4:45 pm
>> what joe biden would say, welcome we are going to replace all these jobs of people who make solar and wind power but germany tried that approach about 10-15 years ago and it led to a collapse of their industries and they had to abandon it. the other thing, i go -- remember, hillary in 2016 promise she was going to eliminate all the coal jobs and she lost. the democrats are talking about the oil and gas jobs, go to these towns. i traveled on the campaign with the democrats have killed the coal industry and you just see deserted towns that have been completely obliterated by these radical -- be one as barack obama said, probably not coming back. >> it's not just economic factors, but it was a deliberate policy by the democrats to eliminate coal. by the way, china is consuming so much coal, even if we did not produce any, it would have almost no impact so let's see if democrats can pivot back and say
4:46 pm
we didn't mean what we said. >> martha: the fracking issue is a very interesting issue to watch in this election moving forward and thanks for that. stephen moore. hours meeting tomorrow to argue that president trump should not be removed from office but we'll speak exquisitely to white house principal press deputy hoke and ♪ robin hood and little john runnin' through the forest ♪ ♪ laughin' back and forth at what the other'ne has to say ♪ there's a booking for every resolution. book yours at booking.com there's a booking for every resolution. diarrhea? pepto diarrhea to the rescue. it's 3x concentrated liquid formula coats and kills bacteria to relieve diarrhea. the leading competitor only treats symptoms it does nothing to kill the bacteria. treat diarrhea at its source with pepto diarrhea.
4:47 pm
4:48 pm
art bed. can it help keep me asleep? absolutely, it senses your movements and automatically adjusts to keep you both comfortable. it's the final days to save $1,000 on the sleep number 360 special edition smart bed. plus, 0% interest for 36-months. ends saturday.
4:49 pm
4:50 pm
wean air force veteran made of doing what's right,. not what's easy. so when a hailstorm hit, usaa reached out before he could even inspect the damage. that's how you do it right. usaa insurance is made just the way martin's family needs it - with hassle-free claims, he got paid before his neighbor even got started. because doing right by our members, that's what's right. usaa. what you're made of, we're made for. usaa >> the court case that's been presented by the house managers is that president trump put his own personal political interests ahead of our national interests and he directed the via to firing of ambassador yovanovich because he was trying to extract from the newly elected president of ukraine a
4:51 pm
commitment to open hm investigation on joe biden and announce an investigation into the 2016 election. >> martha: a pretty good summary of the democratic -- with the democrats have said over the past few days but that was democratic senator chris coons earlier on the show saying house democrats have proven their case against the president over the past three days while they have made their arguments on the floor of the senate. tomorrow, the white house will have its turn. here now with a review, white house prince will deputy press secretary. good to have you here. i do want to talk to you about the defense and what's coming and all of that, but first i do want to ask a question about this lev parnas story that has come up and get you the reaction from the white house. the beginning of the story with ray jerome out alwith rachel maddow. >> part of it to get out of the
4:52 pm
post is because she's in the way of the effort to get the government of ukraine to announce investigations with joe biden? >> that's the only motivation. >> that's completely ridiculous. lev parnas doing a media tour, going to the places like "new york times," msnbc, like cnn, and now we know through leaked audio and video that these outlets have one desire and when desire only and that's to carry it on and get this president out of office. it would make sense that they would have someone like parnas on. he's had trouble with the law, federal crimes, indictments. just like any president in history, staff that agrees with his forward and policy. it was really clear in the conversation with president zelensky, he even told president trump, not good for the administration, not helpful,
4:53 pm
she's beholden to a different administration. it's clear he has the right to do it. every president in history has done it, so he made a move to put some in imposition that more aligned closely with his foreign policy. >> one more thought from lev parnas to get another better look at this. watch. >> fired her after dinner which was the most surprising thing ever. i remember telling the president that the ambassador was badmouthing him. at that point, he discerned to his aid at the time and said, fire her. and we all... there was a silence in the room. >> martha: it's interesting on a number of levels. one question is the president says he does not know lev parnas and lev parnas says he's in a smaller group at a private dinner with the president and they were communicating about this.
4:54 pm
>> he said i can't think of how many conversations the president has with someone he met for a brief moment, that person gives him information and any principal they turned to a staff member and say, take care of this for me. of course we are going to look into that. it's pretty obvious that ambassador yovanovich did not agree with the president on foreign policy. actively working against him as we know. it's his right like any president's right to put staff in place that agrees with him. she didn't so she's been replaced. >> martha: it feels like so i feel this is pretty orchestrated, there is going to continual trips of information, this videotape is in the hands -- audiotape is in the hands of the southern district of new york and as part of their investigation. but do you have any anticipation that this is an audio recording between lev parnas and the president discussing this? >> not aware of any. who knows what's out there. who knows if someone's making the whole thing up, splice it
4:55 pm
together, pass it off as real. this is all about the president of united states in a phone call trying to protect the american people's tax dollars. i've been with the legal team all day watching the democrats try to tear down a president with no proof, no evidence. it's all hearsay, it's all your father's brother's form and that the roommate says this. all say it's nope quid pro quo, the president said he didn't want anything from ukraine. it's something the democrats are going to try and use to hang their hat on to try to get the president out of office. it's not going to work. he's going to be exonerated because that truth as we all know will set you free, will prove the fact that president has been wrong. what he did was legal, lawful, constitutional, half of the american people and their tax dollars.
4:56 pm
>> martha: you said you were with the attorneys today and spoke with the president today. for this lev parnas audio come up when you spoke with the president? >> i'm telling you, this whole illegitimate sham impeachment is a blip on his radar. when you saw what he did with the china trade deal, the democrats are marching these ridiculous impeachment orders that don't allege a crime, by the way. he goes with foreign leaders to talk about trade deals, today he went to the march for life, the first president in history to take that strong of a stand and go to those tens and thousands of people who come to the city every year on behalf of the sanctity of life, something no one has ever done before. all of the things he's doing on behalf of the american people -- >> martha: reported on that tonight and last night, by the way. it significant, a significant move. with regard to the bidens and you are the center say it's a sham investigation, there's
4:57 pm
absolutely nothing to that, how much of an effort is the white house going to put into uncovering your perspective on that in the course of what we see over the next 24 hours of testimony? >> it's interesting. jay sekulow and i talked about this briefly and went to the cameras to bring up the point of the press pool at the capital that it's interesting that the democrats open the door of the conversation about the biden. they sure talk a lot about the bidens, they sure talk a lot about burisma. how far we go to that the fence, leave that up to the legal team. >> martha: it came up obviously because that's what the president was pushing for. investigations of the biden and klobuchars. >> as democrat said, there is nothing to see there. it's debunked. it's never been looked at strongly. the fact is this team is ready regardless what the democrats of come up with. look, each day they are playing video clips multiple times, it's
4:58 pm
so repetitive. but this is the same argument they've been making the last three months. >> martha: we heard rudy giuliani laid out this morning on "fox & friends." are they talking about this together? in terms of how this all lays out, how they explain to the american people, here's what we see happening here is why you should be concerned about it. >> not aware of any conversations between our legal team and rudy giuliani. you hear about him as a crime fighter for a long time but the team is focused on the exoneration of the president. which we expect to achieve in short order. >> martha: in terms of timing, what did they say? are they going to take the whole 24 hours? >> that remains to be seen. the democrats have to finish their case tonight. i can tell you the senate made a point this evening that they want to have our defense team began for about three hours tomorrow so we expect to fill
4:59 pm
some of that time there. look, we are going to make a full throated very strong defense. i do not expect a lot of boxing back and forth expect our team to come out and throw a few haymaker's and for the democrats in their place and how they misrepresented the truth, light multiple times. the case is so strong, when you have a firm case like we have or the facts are on your side, it doesn't take as long to present when you say here it is, here's the evidence where as the democrats are trying to piece and parse things together that aren't really there. because what percentage do you say exists that there's going to be a call for witnesses here, that the publicans will say we aren't done, we want when this is. >> we'll see what happens as a president likes to say. they want a full-blown trial? we'll have that conversation and hunter biden will be talking, joe biden will be talking to adam schiff as well. >> martha: and mulvaney and bolton on the other side? >> thankfully we are in the senate where things are going to be fair regardless how it shakes
5:00 pm
out and regardless what happens the president will be exonerated. he's done nothing wrong. >> martha: white house press secretary, deputy secretary. that's "the story" for tonight. the story continues and tucker carlson is ready to take it away. good night, every body. you monday see you monday. >> tucker: good evening, welcome to tucker carlson for it he still talking, going on a long time. this week's impeachment trial, the senate has done what you thought would be impossible in the era of donald trump, it has made politics boring again. but the trial isn't dull, it dull in a highly aggressive, almost coercive way. watching it is like being trapped by your drunk brother-in-law as he explains in forensic detail how he's managing his 401(k). after 6 minutes, you fantasize jumping out the window. that's the experience of it. fortunately, there are no windows in the senate chamber so we had to watch the entire thin.

37 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on